Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My Room with a View


Writing in from nyc where I'm spending the next three weeks chaperoning students who are interning up here. I seriously think I have the best room in the house! This never happens to me. I love my view. And I love my job. Planning on getting some good reading done while here, although sadly I had to leave most of my books behind at the 11th hour. Ran out of room in the suitcase. No matter, I can think of a few bookstores to visit...

I did finish Elizabeth Berg's The Art of Mending over the weekend, and I am giving it a B/B-. If anyone else has read E Berg and has some thoughts on her writing, I would love to hear them. I really, really wanted to like this book; I did like the ending. Just felt there were too many loose seams throughout.


3 comments:

Anne said...

Haven't read that Berg yet; I really enjoyed Never Change, liked The Year of Pleasures somewhat less and then couldn't get into Smile/Blue at all. Berg CAN write a really nice, thoughtful story even if her characters are suffering or damaged. I hope she'll write a really wonderful book. Thought I'd be struggling with Updike's Villages, but I'm loving it - wonderful sentences, description - I feel like I right there.

EAL said...

You know, one thing about my copy of The Art of Mending was that it was a Reader's version. There were typos throughout and a letter from the editor to readers saying it was not the final, publishable version. I bought this copy in a used bookstore.

This made me think two things: 1) Berg hopefully got some good feedback and tightened up the final version, and 2) how do I get to be one of these readers??!!

Maura said...

That IS an awesome view! Have fun! I'm jealous.