Monday, November 19, 2007

One for the road

Last night at a pre-Thanksgiving dinner party I fell into conversation with a couple who loves a good book on tape as much as I do. By the conversation's end I realized that I not only had the same taste in books on tape but also in vacation spots. This seemed like pretty legitimate criteria for vacationing together one of these days.

My last book on tape was David McCullough's 1776, which I listened to while driving home from Asheville. I didn't finish it all on the drive, and it was so good that I had to bring it inside to listen and find out how Washington got his army out of New York. This one I would highly recommend. What I forgot to mention last night was an favorite old standby: P. G. Wodehouse. I have listened to Jeeves in the Morning several times on long road trips, mainly because there is nothing else in my car. It never gets old. Never!

Audiobooks are a necessity for me, especially over T-giving and Christmas holidays when I get stuck for at least two hours in Knoxville traffic on the way to Virginia (someone better write in soon and tell me a reason to like Knoxville). I'm dreading the seven-hour drive ahead of me on Wednesday, but thinking about a good book on tape definitely makes it more palatable. I was so happy to find Dwight Garner's post on Papercuts addressing the very same issue. Sounds like we are going to be ships passing in the night on I-81. There are some GREAT b on t suggestions at the bottom of his post, so I am including the link here for the long ride home.


2 comments:

Maura said...

Okay. One reason to like Knoxville:

http://www.yeehawindustries.com/home.html

I haven't been, but I so wish I used to know about it on drives from Tulsa to NC on 40. We always stayed in Knoxville and not much was going on.

EAL said...

I am adding David Sedaris's Holidays on Ice to the list. We were laughing so hard last night that it became difficult to stay on the road.