Sunday, September 5, 2010

Liking this one

Let me say first that I love fall. It has always signaled the beginning of a new year to me. However, I have had a series of interesting and not unrelated conversations with friends this weekend about the profound sadness some feel at this time of year: about the inevitable end of summer and all that that season entails; about the advent of fall, and with it, the pressure to succeed at school or work; and finally, about the art of bow hunting. (Not that I've tried this. Yet.) Somehow, and rather miraculously, all these things seem wrapped up in this gorgeous short story by Paul Murray, published today in The New York Times. I'm posting it here for posterity, and to remember this inbetween time of year when the sky couldn't be more blue.

"Back to School" by Paul Murray.

2 comments:

SarahShearer said...

read this a couple days ago, and still thinking about it;thanks for telling me about it.

EAL said...

I'm so glad you read it! I'm still thinking about it, too.