Wednesday, August 11, 2010

latest obsession: John Keats

Anyone who has spent time with me recently knows that I am obsessed with John Keats. Can't shut up about him. I found the following quote during my week of existential hell at a workshop in CT (if I disappeared into this Watertown countryside and never returned, would anyone actually notice?), and it helped put my world back into perspective. Just happened across it again and I thought it was important to record:

"...several things dovetailed in my mind, and at once it struck me what quality went to form a Man of Achievement, especially in Literature, and which Shakespeare possessed so enormously - I mean Negative Capability, that is, when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact and reason...with a great poet the sense of Beauty overcomes every other consideration, or rather obliterates all consideration..."

No comments: