Sunday, April 11, 2010

love letter to spring: part II

I read this poem last summer, ripped it out of The New Yorker and put it in a drawer for safekeeping. While painting the drawer today I rediscovered it, but some of these lines never fully drifted out of my memory. It is the kind of poem that stays and stays. In some ways hard to follow and in others, crystal clear. My kinda poem. And what a fabulous name for a poet, if I do say so myself...

"Crush" by Ada Limon

Maybe my limbs are made

mostly for decoration,

like the way I feel about

persimmons. You can’t

really eat them. Or you

wouldn’t want to. If you grab

the soft skin with your fist

it somehow feels funny,

like you’ve been here

before and uncomfortable,

too, like you’d rather

squish it between your teeth

impatiently, before spitting

the soft parts back up

to linger on the tongue like

burnt sugar or guilt.

For starters, it was all

an accident, you cut

the right branch

and a sort of light

woke up underneath,

and the inedible fruit

grew dark and needy.

Think crucial hanging.

Think crayon orange.

There is one low, leaning

heart-shaped globe left

and dearest, can you

tell, I am trying

to love you less.






No comments: