Monday, December 14, 2009

Blackberry Farm Cookbook


Yesterday I went to Davis-Kidd and heard my friend Sam Beall speak about his new Blackberry Farm cookbook. The talk was lovely because he is so passionate about what he does. I showed up looking like a bat out of hell, having come straight from a run, but he was completely gracious. I'll admit I was also the first to dig into the fantastic pimento cheese and salumi (check it- it's a word) that he brought, but I made sure to purchase some, too. A lot of people already know this about me: I happen to be a connoisseur of pimento cheese, and Blackberry Farm's is winning my personal contest right now. The cookbook is coffee-table gorgeous and full of simple, inspiring recipes. I use the word simple in the best way: simple because everything equates and connects with Tennessee's seasons. There are no frivolous ingredients. In this way the recipes remind me a bit of Ina Garten's, but Blackberry Farm's seem even more connected to the earth.
Listening to Sam talk about the farm, the food, the inn - it's clearly a profession that becomes a way of life. I've been thinking recently about teaching in the same way. I know there are ups and downs to this kind of life work, but I wouldn't trade it.


No comments: