Thursday, June 5, 2008

wish I hadn't read...

The Double-Bind by Chris Bohjalian. Just spent two days on this book for a book club, and now I am in a serious funk. I can see why it is a bestseller: it's a psychological thriller, so once you start you kind of have to keep turning the page to find out how it ends. But to what end? Only low-grade nausea for me, and I really don't have time for that on my summer break. Ugh. I really detested this book. It is about a college student who is attacked while riding her bike one day and who ultimately loses her mind as a result of this trauma. If I had known this beforehand I would never have read it, but they don't give those kind of fun details on the back cover!

So now I am on to Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I never heard of anyone who didn't love this book (it is a book about books, after all) so it has to be a safe bet.


2 comments:

Anne said...

I'm such a slow reader but love your suggestions; just picked up Empire Falls but since you're doing Shadow of the Wind, I'll switch - Mary Va Manson recommended that to me this winter - her book club loved it. We're doing Water for Elephants this month (loved!), then the Knitting Circle in July (not so much love, too trite). Jodi Picoult is usually pretty engaging, always a page turner, which makes her interesting, always a moral dilemma. I'll be interested to see how you feel about Shadow. Love, AL

albw said...

SOOO glad to hear you say this. just picked up this book from the library but won't start it. have started and am in love with see you in 100 years.