Monday, December 17, 2007


Read Matrimony by Joshua Henkin yesterday. It has a good cover. And that is all I have to say at the moment.

Okay, two days later, having mulled sufficiently, I now have a little more to say. Here go's:

I can’t say that I didn’t like the novel. I finished it in surprisingly little time. I was pretty interested in the choices the characters made, and I wanted to know how things would end up for them. That being said, there was no zinger for me. No moment where I thought to myself, “this is pure truth, even if it is fiction." No glimmer, no recognition, nothing. Just steady as she goes. Really precise prose. Beautiful characters, and when I say beautiful I mean not a dog in the bunch. And maybe that’s a metaphor for my relationship to this book. All the rough edges were polished away. Nothing stuck. This brings me to my real problem: I can’t think of a single person to whom I would give this book. And this bugs me to no end, because I bought it new and in hardback! Mistake. Normally I would send it on to elena or anne, but I think either might be insulted if I did so.

There are better things out there to read, so go forth and read them.


1 comment:

Maura said...

good to know. I read the review of that (who knows where or when!) and thought of reading it. guess i'll stick to my reading list for next semester's teaching. :(